Questions & Answers

What to do when there is a maintenance problem?

If you are concerned about something in the property, please contact A1 Property Managers on our after hours line 351 7643. It is important to advise us promptly where repairs are necessary as failure to do so could result in you being responsible for the damaged caused.

Before calling us regarding your repairs, please read the Avoid Necessary Callout and Charges to see if your repairs can be fixed without a tradesperson being sent out.

Who do I call if it is after hours and an emergency?

Should an emergency arise in the property, after hours, during weekends or public holidays then please telephone (03) 351 7643. An answer service will provide you with a cell phone number to contact and assist you in the case of an emergency. The after hours service should only be used for problems arising to essential services such as electricity, plumbing, drainage and water supply or when the property is in danger if repairs are not carried out urgently. If an emergency callout is made for a non-essential repair, you will be responsible for the additional urgent callout fee.

What can I do to avoid unnecessary callouts and costs?

Before proceeding with calling us regarding repairs or maintenance, please use this Maintenance Guide first, to avoid any unnecessary call outs and costs that could be incurred to you.

No Power

  • Have you contacted your power company? There may be a fault in the street.
  • Have you checked with a neighbour? If in a block of units it may be the Body Corporate that needs to be contacted for action.
  • Have you checked your fuse box? There may have been an overload and the safety switch has been activated and needs re-setting or a fuse blown and a new fuse wire is needed.
  • Have you checked that one of your appliances is not faulty? Unplug all appliances in the house and plug into another power point.

Kitchen/Bathroom Sink is Blocked

If there is a major blockage with sewerage overflow call A1 Property Managers immediately or the emergency after hours number (03) 351 7643.

If the problem is that the sink is taking a long time to drain away, the following suggestions may help:

  • Have you tried pouring hot water down the sink or using a drain cleaner such as "Draino" to try and free the blockage?
  • Have you cleared hairs, soap, food etc from the waste and pipe?
  • Have you removed old food from the kitchen waste and poured boiling water down the drain?

Please note that if you have caused the blockage you are responsible for the cost of unblocking it.

No Hot Water

  1. Is it Gas or Electric?
    1. Have you arranged for the connection of your Gas or Electricity?
  2. If it is an Electric Hot Water System
    1. Have you checked that the hot water switch is turned on?
    2. Have you checked to see if your hot water system needs refilling/topping up?
    3. Have you checked the fuse in the meter box? Has someone turned off the fuse by mistake? Has the fuse blown?
    4. Have you checked that the water tap on the hot water system itself is turned on?

  3. If it is a Gas Hot Water System
    1. Have you checked to see if your pilot light has gone out? Some units can be easily relite - others may require a tradesperson.
    2. For Mains Gas supply - is the gas turned on at the main?
    3. For Gas Bottle supply - are the gas cylinders empty? If so, you need to contact the gas company and arrange to fill the cylinders.

Washing Machine is not working

  • Are the washing machine taps turned on at the wall?
  • Have you checked to make sure that the appliance is turned on at the wall?
  • Have you checked that the lid is closing properly?
  • If the machine has stopped half way through a cycle, make sure that the machine is not overloaded or out of balance - re-arrange the items evenly in the bowl.

Lights are not working or power points are not working

  • Have you replaced the light bulb?
  • Have you checked the fuse box?

Dryer is not working

Have you checked to see if the filter needs cleaning out? Dryers can automatically shut down due to overload of lint in the filter.

Stove element is not working

  • Have you checked your fuse box? If there has been an overload, the safety switch may need resetting.
  • Have you checked the connections to make sure they are not loose or dirty?
  • Has the oven switch been turned off by mistake?

Garage remote control is not working

  • Have you checked to see if the batteries have not gone flat?
  • Have you checked that there is power to the automatic door opener?
  • Have you checked that the lever inside the garage is on "auto"? The lever is generally next to the control box inside the garage. You can either choose "manual" to operate the door with the key or "auto" to operate the door with the remote control.

Garbage disposal is not working

  • Is it turned on at the switch?
  • Have you attempted to reset the safety switch? This is normally a little red or black button underneath the bottom of the garbage disposal unit - they may have to get on their hands and knees to find the switch. This switch can be activated by an overload and simply needs to be reset.
  • Is there a blockage in the sink/blades?
  • IMPORATNT - Before putting hands down the sink to check for blockages - make sure unit is turned off at the wall and unplugged.
  • Please note that if you have caused the blockage you are responsible for the cost.

Not turning up at an appointment arranged with a tradesperson

The tradesperson will contact you for access to the property. Should you arrange a time with the tradesperson and then not turn up, you will be responsible for the tradesperson's callout charge.

When and how do I pay rent?

Rental payments are by automatic payment into our bank account as per the automatic payment form provided when you sign the tenancy agreement.

When there is a group situation in one property, rent must be paid from only one account - we cannot accept several payments from different accounts.

If you are making a payment by Internet banking, please ensure your tenant code is noted and your name and property address so the funds can be correctly allocated. Alternatively, please call us to advise when the payment will be made.

Please do not dump money into our account. We manage 100's of properties and it is extremely difficult to match unidentified deposits against a specific property. Furthermore, you may be charged the bank fees associated with determining who made the payment.

What happens if I miss a rent payment?

In accordance with your Tenancy Agreement, rent is due and payable on or before the due date. Failure to pay rent by the due date may result in proceedings being taken to terminate your tenancy. Our company has a zero tolerance to rent arrears. If you are experiencing problems in this area it is imperative that you make contact with us immediately.

What is the Bond used for?

Your rental bond is help as security against damage or undue wear and tear. It will be lodged with the Tenancy Services Division of the Ministry of Housing. The bond will be refunded once we have completed a property inspection and any work required has been completed and paid for.

What happens if I wish to vacate the property?

Periodic Tenancies

You must give not less than 21 days notice in writing to A1 Property Managers Ltd to terminate the tenancy. For security reasons, we do not accept verbal notice. Please use the Notice to Vacate Form.

Any notice given by any tenant where there are two or more tenants shall operate to terminate the tenancy as a whole and the tenancy shall come to an end on the day referred to in the notice whether or not any other tenant(s) concurs with the giving of the original notice.

Fixed Term Tenancies

If your agreement is a fixed term tenancy then the fixed term cannot be terminated by notice.

If a fixed term is broken by the tenant then the tenant is responsible for paying rent until the property is re-let or the end of the fixed term agreement - which ever eventuates first. The tenant is also required to pay an advertising charge, and other costs of breaking the lease. Please contact A1 Property Managers to determine an appropriate course of action.

Upon ending your tenancy please return to us all keys, pass cards and remote controlled door openers for the property. You are required to return all these items on the final day of the Tenancy Agreement. Failure to return these items on time will result in you being charged rent until these items are returned and/or the cost of replacement locks, keys or remotes.

Within the last 21 days of your tenancy, we will be required to show prospective tenants through the property and would appreciate your co-operation. We will contact you to make a convenient appointment time.

All bonds are held by the Tenancy Services Bond Centre and refunds are subject to the agreement of both landlord and tenant.

To facilitate a quick bond refund, the property should be left in a clean and tidy condition and all rent should be paid. We will send you a cleaning notice 21 days prior to your vacating date, highlighting areas to attend to. This will also confirm the bond inspection date and time.

It is your responsibility to cancel your automatic payment authority at the end of your tenancy, we are not authorised to do this for you.

How often are property inspections undertaken?

The landlord or the landlord's agent have the right to inspect the premises regularly after provision of the appropriate notice. The tenant acknowledges that the failure by the tenant to permit the landlord entry when the landlord is entitled to entry may constitute an unlawful act. Under the Residential Tenancy Act 1986, landlords can inspect premises between 8am and 7pm after giving 48 hours notice and not more often than once every four weeks.

What happens if I change the locks during a tenancy?

If at any stage your lock is changed, we should be notified immediately and provided with a duplicate key. We are not in a position to provide an emergency service for lost or misplaced keys. You will have to contact, at your expense, a locksmith to obtain entry to your property. It is therefore suggested that you have a duplicate key for safe keeping. If the property has a security alarm, we need to know what the code is.

Do I need insurance cover?

We advise that you take out insurance for your contents from a reputable insurance company. The policy should have a public liability extension.

Contact details for Telephone/Electricity/Gas?


Below are some numbers for electricity suppliers in the Christchurch and greater Canterbury area.

You can apply for a contract over the phone. You will need a Drivers Licence or passport number, employers address, Landlord details and a phone number. Failure to connect will result in the disconnection of power after two weeks.

When you move into the property we will show you where the meter box is so you can record your first reading.

A bond is usually required if you are a new customer. You can have a guarantor if they have a good credit history. Multi-lingual staff are available.


If you have gas connected to the property, phone Contact Energy on 0800 809 000 for an application form. You may need to pay a bond.


For new connections please contact Telecom on 123.

What happens if my contact details change?

At the commencement of your tenancy it would be appreciated if you would provide our office with your after hours telephone number. Should your home and work phone number change during the term of your tenancy please advise our office immediately.

Please use the Change of Details Form on this site.